Thursday, November 25, 2010

My symptoms...

My MS lesions are 2 on my spine, and 2 tiny ones in my brain.  My troubles are all caused from the ones on my spine...  There are all sorts of medical terms for my awesome symptoms.  Like Spasticity, Transverse Myelitis which I have lots of.  Well, maybe not in comparison to others with this shit, but still.....  I will tell you what this means for me...

Spasticity for me causes my legs to have the feeling of popcorn popping all over from the inside out.  I can actually see zillions of tiny muscle twitches all over my legs.  Sometimes I get it in my arms and back.  It also causes my hips to hurt.  My ankles will get so stiff that it's hard to bend them.   I could take this drug called baclofen for it, but don't want to after my experience with Neurontin for the nerve problems....  Also can stretch and lift weights.  But half the time I feel so shitty that I don't want to go.  Excuses?  I guess so..  I used to love the gym.....

Well, I guess I will just post a copied link for TM and make bold the stuff I have.  Not that anyone cares, or is even gonna read this...

What are the symptoms of transverse myelitis?

Transverse myelitis may be either acute (developing over hours to several days) or subacute (developing over 1 to 2 weeks). Initial symptoms usually include localized lower back pain, sudden paresthesias (abnormal sensations such as burning, tickling, pricking, or tingling) in the legs, sensory loss, and paraparesis (partial paralysis of the legs) ** I have awakened at night with a paralyzed leg and a few times my arm. Paraparesis often progresses to paraplegia (paralysis of the legs and lower part of the trunk). Urinary bladder (I gotta pee alot sometimes but really don't have to.  Weird and annoying...) and bowel dysfunction is common. Many patients also report experiencing muscle spasms, a general feeling of discomfort, headache, fever, and loss of appetite. Depending on which segment of the spinal cord is involved, some patients may experience respiratory problems as well.
From this wide array of symptoms, four classic features of transverse myelitis emerge: (1) weakness of the legs and arms, (2) pain, (3) sensory alteration, and (4) bowel and bladder dysfunction. Most patients will experience weakness of varying degrees in their legs; some also experience it in their arms. Initially, people with transverse myelitis may notice that they are stumbling or dragging one foot or that their legs seem heavier than normal (mine weigh a ton!). Coordination of hand and arm movements, as well as arm and hand strength may also be compromised. Progression of the disease over several weeks often leads to full paralysis of the legs, requiring the patient to use a wheelchair.
Pain is the primary presenting symptom of transverse myelitis in approximately one-third to one-half of all patients. The pain may be localized in the lower back or may consist of sharp, shooting sensations that radiate down the legs or arms or around the torso.
Patients who experience sensory disturbances often use terms such as numbness, tingling, coldness, or burning to describe their symptoms. Up to 80 percent of those with transverse myelitis report areas of heightened sensitivity to touch, such that clothing or a light touch with a finger causes significant discomfort or pain (a condition called allodynia). Many also experience heightened sensitivity to changes in temperature or to extreme heat or cold.
Bladder and bowel problems may involve increased frequency of the urge to urinate or have bowel movements, incontinence, difficulty voiding, the sensation of incomplete evacuation, and constipation. Over the course of the disease, the majority of people with transverse myelitis will experience one or several of these symptoms.

Anyhow, that's pretty much it..  It never goes away, and is always there in some varying degree....  Drives me CRAZY!  There are drugs to combat this stuff.  I took Neurontin for awhile because of the skin pain, and it DID work, but the side effects were hideous.  I was like a zombie with no feeling amotionally, dizzy, floaty, confusion...  There is a whole month I can't remember.  So I quit taking it.  Plus I wanted o see if any of the symptoms were gone, which the hot burning skin was.   I am used to the feeling of wearing wet jeans, and other weird crap, but I am so tired of my hips hurting.  Sometimes my toes hurt terrible....  
Sometimes my legs feel like they are exploding.  This doesn't hurt, but is more sorta quivery and achey....

My hands are numb alot of the time.  I find this quite annoying and terrifying.  Because if I lose the use of my hands I won't be able to make a living.  Wonder if I will lose my house...

No comments:

Post a Comment